Hello everyone

Take a moment to introduce yourself, it is required to make at least one post as a new member,members with no posts will be automatically deleted after 2 days.
ndrw

Hello everyone

Post by ndrw » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:06 am

I have been riding sh125 for a couple of years now and it only gets better with time. Honda windscreen, knuckle protectors and thermoscud made it a perfect all year round commuting machine. Not to mention all the fun I have with it.

Greetings from East Anglia.

NADman

Re: Hello everyone

Post by NADman » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:09 am

Welcome. My riding season came to an abrupt end this weekend.
High winds-freezing rain and (shiver) snow. Done till April.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:19 am

Welcome to the Forum ndrw of East Anglia.
I too have been utilizing the SH (150) for many years now on practically a daily basis and find it amazing that the 'sense' of fun never withers.
Our climates are quite similar and I also have the Honda windscreen, knuckle visors and thermoscud. I also installed some heated grips, of which I seldom use.
Taking the Time to dress for the occasion makes every ride as pleasant as a walk in the park.
My Heart goes out to those who allow a gentle breeze and little frozen dew to curtail there fun......
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

ndrw

Post by ndrw » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:52 am

I initially thought the tall screen would be an overkill and was looking for something less obtrusive. A couple of weeks into sub zero temperatures I have decided to go for it and it was the single best decision I made since buying the bike. With the screen deflecting the wind away from my head I can ride with an open visor in almost any weather (except when it snows, this stuff somehow finds its way to my eyes) so no more fogging and cold. Sometimes I wish it was a bit less aerodynamic as my back can get fairly cold from air pushing me from behind.

The knuckle protectors do a pretty good job as well. I'm considering getting heated grips for longer trips, though. Any recommendations?

The leg cover is somewhat less effective at keeping me warm, but it does keep the road grime away. Except for 2-3 winter months I can do without extra gear on my legs.

One thing I want to change is tyres. IRC tyres are OK in summer but slippery in wet and cold. It's the first time I wish the tyres were wearing out faster but these buggers are made of such hard rubber they look almost new after 5000 miles.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:03 am

I trimmed 2" off the screen so that when seated I can see the road ~30 ft. in front of the bike. The eyes are always above the screen and turbulence isn't an issue. It really helps, such-as; 4a.m. last Sunday morning in the pitch dark with temps hovering around 40°F, there was heavy fog lying within all the low spots along the road. The mist immediately covers and obscures all vision through the screen and was no problem for me.

I only don the helmet and replace the knit wool cap when temps get below 40°F and I always have the visor up too, even once last year when the temp was <10°.....I deplore the isolation I 'sense' that the helmet induces and putting the visor down doubles that feeling. Feels and sounds like being in limbo.....In heavy rain I'll lower it partially to shield my glasses though.

I obtained and installed Oxford heated grips and here is a post to consider regarding that:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1529&hilit=+heated+grips

I have thermometer on my key chain and note a +10° beneath the scud regardless of outside air temp. Mainly it does keep the air off the legs and is a great help and comfort. I cut the 'bib' off to make things easier getting in and out. Those inflatable tubes that are supposed to prevent 'flapping', quit holding air years ago and I don't mind nor notice a need to care. I use it ~November till May......

I use City Grips tires, and though they are composed of two different grades of rubber (side and tread) they are impossible on ice and snow. The smallest amount of snow simple means I don't go anywhere and luckily I can 'hole-up', as I have little to do with 'this' world anymore anyhow and am well provisioned with all necessities; especially tobacco, books and brandy!

Here is a link regarding a tire that a member gave. I found the article next to tire interesting in regards to Germany and know nothing about the tire itself......
https://www.sip-scootershop.com/main/ba ... anguage=en

ndrw

Post by ndrw » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:36 pm

Thanks, that is very helpful.

I was planning to buy City Grips, not sure about it now. Maybe they will be a bit better in the wet than IRC. Thanks for the link. Somehow I didn't think about winter tyres. If only it wasn't such a pain in neck to swap tyres.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:55 pm

In my limited experience, the City Grips handle well in the rain. At highway speed, at night, in torrential rain twice last year, they surprised me from what I was prepared to expect.
If I was to go the snow tire route; I'd definitely obtain an extra set of used wheels to mount them on and make it somewhat easier on myself.....

SH125Paul

Post by SH125Paul » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:28 am

Hi...

I fitted the hand guards...
worth a note is to cut off the back of the hand guard that goes around the handle bar...
that way you can remove the front cowl - forward past the brake levers, to change the headlight bulb...
I don't like the idea of heated grips to a scoot that you cant bump start and has no kick start...
Rather cold hands than stranded...
Although the hand guards keep a lot of wind blast off, when it gets cold, I use the Tucan Urbano muffs - which will be going on this weekend! brilliant!

and a post about my switch to City Grips (Normal Version NOT the winter version)...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6459
about 1500 miles in - got used to em now - All Good!

jackfrank

Post by jackfrank » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:29 am

Hello everyone, I am Alax from SC, USA and glad to see me here.