Replacing the freewheel

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
FeniX

Replacing the freewheel

Post by FeniX » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:52 pm

Dear SHcooter Members,

I would like to get some hints or instructions upon how to change the freewheel for my SH150 (2001, carbs version).

The starter is ail for some time, and my mechanic said, that it must be the freewheel that causing the problem.
( After i purchased a second hand starter, and replaced that, but it did not solved the problem, which is: On starting from 10 cases, it only starts once, the other 9 attempts are just a *tick* sound from the starter and nothing else. )

The bike spent some days at my mechanic, but after he did some cleaning and adjustments, he said, it is good now.
After that, it was the same again, and the mech. just rubbed his head, and that is when he came up the idea, that the freewheel is bad.

Anyway, i want to replace it myself. I have the time (altough it is a light winter here right now, but i decided it anyways), and most of the equipment. Also i had the basic knowledge (and the willing! :-) ) to fix it.

I would like some guidance for best results to replace this.

So to make it clear, i would like to replace the 1.) element on the picture, located near to the generator.

Thank you all, happy riding. (Sorry for my unpracticed english)

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Replacing the freewheel

Post by TommyXP » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:20 am

I am sorry that I have no experience in this matter to share and help......
Though, I still question the certainty of the diagnosis......
Have you taken +12V directly to the starter post and experienced the same results?
Best of luck and I hope you continue to share your labors here.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

FeniX

Post by FeniX » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:01 am

Hmm, i see.

So what would be the basic diagnostic approach for this whole thing?

The symptoms are the following:
upon starting, there are usually nothing at all, but a *TICK* sound, and no crank on the starter.

Any tips appreciated. (been walked a few rounds with the issues on local forums, with little or no luck)

kr,
Béla.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:27 am

Starter relay would be my first guess...and then be certain the battery is good.
IF you could get a +12V jumper directly to the starter post, you could eliminate the internals......
Also, I am uncertain whether the 2001 has the darn 'Bank angle sensor' on it OR how this might effect things.
I can only but offer you a 2010 Factory Service Manual in .pdf format IF you PM me with your e-mail address.
It includes all schematics which you might find very similar and a help......

SH125Paul

Post by SH125Paul » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:16 am

Not an expert, but I too would imagine it more likely to be the started solenoid / relay...
Worth replacing swapping out etc. as much cheaper, and easier to source...

Would the free wheel (or SPRAG Clutch as I believe it is sometimes known) not be after the starting aspect - so even if failed - you would still hear the starter but the resultant drive would not get transferred...

I would look to check supplying a fused 12v supply direct to the starter, or by linking out / passing the starter relay - or as mention try a new starter relay.

Good luck!

FeniX

Post by FeniX » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:44 pm

Hi,

i was told to be very extremely cautious with bypassing the relay and the fuse with a direct cable to the starter, as it can cause some serious fireworks.

The relay can be checked though. I look after that, thanks.
I'll get back with the results soon.

(unfortunately, i had to took the bike to another sub-level garage, as i have some domestic issues on keeping the bike in a normal staircase is a problem for the neighbours)

Thank ya' all.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:32 am

Momentarily applying +12V to the starter by bypassing the relay is merely doing the same thing that the relay does and will provide you with useful information. Just touch it and if it try's to crank: the relay or something else is the problem........Stick with it and keep the neighbors happy.

FeniX

Post by FeniX » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:32 pm

Thanks for all the help, as soon as i got the time to check the relay, i will do that.