Yamaha X-Max 300

Discuss the SH- the one in your garage or at the dealer showroom
Mikey

Yamaha X-Max 300

Post by Mikey » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:39 am

Anyone see the X Max 300 yet here in the U.S.? If I get a larger scooter I would definitely check that out. Traction control would of came in handy for the one accident I got on the SH150 when pulling away from a stop sign on some antifreeze or oil. It would be nice if Honda would just bring the SH300 to the U.S. I like the Piaggio BV 350 too but some people have had some quality issues on their forums.
My SH150 is fine but people drive fast here on the highways and I have a hard time keeping up with traffic. Top end on the X Max is supposed to be 100 mph but I dont think I would go that fast on a scoot.

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Yamaha X-Max 300

Post by TommyXP » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:46 am

I haven't seen the X Max 300 and I know how you feel and I too would consider a SH300 too.
But, lately, I've become like a faithful spouse and my Heart and eyes have quit to wander.
I've become totally satisfied with the SH150 and no longer desire any feature or anything else and wish that Honda and their hipster doofus engineers would leave well-enough alone.
.....I am content
wherever I am sent
with mediocrity!
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:06 pm

I know what you mean. Purchased mine in 2011. Not a single problem. Changed the oil once a year. No oil filter. Very little maintenance. Changed out the air filter a couple times. Coolant once. Rear diff fluid. Even adjusted the valves once.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:23 am

Yeah, I've experienced the same on two.
Changed a few tires myself and replaced a couple of belts too.
IMO every once in a while a manufacturer screws-up and puts together something that achieves harmony between all the many
and various components and it hurts their future sales figures.

Saturn automobiles did that in the 90's. I've had but two Saturn high-mile cage-vehicles all these years and a 1999 sits outside all a-sparklin' in the weather, due to all plastic exterior body components: no rust amidst the 'rust belt'.
Since getting the SH, I only need her to haul (SW2 station wagon) or during heavy snow. 33 miles to the gallon (still!) and always there when needed.
200,000 miles was the easy 'norm' for Saturn, with minimal maintainence. My brother-in-law should turn 300,000 miles
this week and he is in awe and it is his sole topic of conversation.
There is a Forum (saturnfans.com) that, like here, raves over what once had been and do everything to get their
hands on one and keep it going practically to infinity......

In ~2000, Saturn put some chicky-poo in charge; changed EVERYTHING that 'worked' and started putting out garbage that took
them right out of business.
In 1996 Saturn came out with the first mass-produced electric vehicle; the EV1. They only made a couple thousand
and ONLY leased them. Against the pleadings of the leassee's, they confiscated and destroyed the vehicles, except
for a few (one went to Leno). There is a video someone made, who went and found and interveiwed those temporary
'owners', full of praise and the hurt they felt when they were unable to keep the vehicles for ANY price.
If you want to make an electric vehicle in the U.S., it must be set-up so that the government can pour money into it and destroy the concept.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_EV1

Hopefully, the Trumpster, as he patiently eliminates the rats in D.C., will then turn his attention to the manufactures
and especially the automotives and clean house there. It's a crime the shit they foist off on us, rendering a great
hurt upon this land of ours.

I also believe that Harley's 'influence' is responsible for keeping tariffs high on imported motorcyles and THAT is the
reason we don't have the SH300 here. They still trying to figure out how to make a reliable brake system though!

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:11 pm

After visiting my local dealer, I found they had a red tag sale on the Yamaha X Max. They reduced the price to $4900.00. I got a quote on the out the door price. Dealer freight $397, Dealer Set up $288.00 and document fee $499.00. I nearly choked! Wasn't much of a sale after all. I did some research and I like the Piaggio BV350, Kymco Xciting 400 and the Suzuki Burgman 400. I sat on the redesigned 2018 Burgman 400 and it was really nice fit. There was no 2017 Burgman and the last year of the old design was 2016. So I actually found a 2016 Burgman 400 with 198 miles at a San Diego dealer for 5000.00, tax and a $80.00 document fee. I'm going next Friday to trailer it back here. CA. has a state law that you cant drive a bike off the dealership without registering it there. I'll get a one way shipping permit and be fine. A motorcycle trailer from U haul is only 14.95.
So the 2016 Burgman has 62 liters of storage under the seat. Was reduced to 42 liters on the 2018 to streamline the bike.
I wont be selling my Honda SH150. Full coverage, plates and 1 qrt oil changes is less then 200.00 dollars a year. The SH was just not a good highway bike out here in Nevada. The speed limit is 65-75 on the highways and there is some pretty steep elevation changes. Ill keep it for trips around the city. It was also the first scooter I ever owned.

NADman

Post by NADman » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:20 pm

I know what you mean. $3500 doesn't look bad but then there's the fine print.
Plus it's a '16.
Sounds like you made a great deal. You'll be flying with a practically brand new 400.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:47 pm

Another great thing is the 2016 Burgman has 62 liters of storage under the seat. I can mount my Givi V46 Monokey top case on the back and have a total of 108 liters of storage! The 2018 redesigned Goldwing has 110 liters total, down from 150 on the previous model. Makes for some decent trips.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:32 am

Good for you Mikey and too bad for Honda, by shamefully not making the SH300 available here in the states to fulfill the need of those MANY who must deal with vast distances & high speeds on a daily basis.

I truly hope that you would continue to contribute your new experience to this thread; as I am certain there are MANY who will be forced to follow a similar path due to Hondas' stupidity and would greatly benefit from your input and experience.
I hope for similar success in regards to ease of maintenance and the faultless consistency that we all have had the undying pleasure of realizing with the venerable "SH" and wish you similar good fortune with your new steed.....

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:20 am

I guess I should start a new topic Burgman 400! The scooter is now 20 years old being released in Europe in 1998. The 2018 is the 3rd generation. From what I have found it seems they are relatively cheap to pick up used with not a lot of resale value. Many where purchased and hardly used so some have very low mileage. A lot of you tube videos on removing the plastics and performing different maintenance procedures. It's a pretty heavy scooter coming in at 489 lbs.
What made me decide on buying one is price, because I'm a pretty frugal person, and storage capacity. Someone said you can fit a large pizza box under the seat. I will research and find out!
I dont understand Honda and not bringing the SH300 to the US. A lot of the scooters they bring here just dont sell well. At least I dont see a lot on the street. they all seem kind of blah. Except for the SH150.
I think Yamaha did a nice job with the X Max with weight, looks, pricing and features. Looks a little compact though.
The redesigned Honda Forza 300 in Europe looks almost the same:
http://www.motorcycle.com/mini-features ... urope.html

Like I said I wont be getting rid of the SH. It's a true step through scooter. It has served me well.

breaknwind

Post by breaknwind » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:40 am

I'm waiting to buy another Honda. I'd bet the X-ADV is more likely to be sold in the U.S. than the SH300. The X-ADV looks less like a scooter and we all know how the American ego works :roll: