Instrument meter bulb replacement

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
Mikey

Instrument meter bulb replacement

Post by Mikey » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:54 pm

One of the wedge shaped bulbs in my speedometer has been out for quite a while. I actually had a spare bulb 34908-KS3-900 ordered years ago and never replaced it. Wasn't that hard. Actually started pulling off way more then I needed to to get to the bulb. This is actually a pretty easy scoot to work on. Replaced the bulb and it is actually brighter then the one that is still going. So, since I have the front apart I'll get another and replace it also. the bulb is less then two bucks. Now I'm thinking maybe I should replace them with led bulbs. Also I'm going to flush the front brake line. Original brake fluid still in there. Maybe replace the headlight bulb with a led? Decisions, decisions. I'll let you know what I did.
Last edited by Mikey on Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Re: Instrument meter bulb replacement

Post by Mikey » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:08 pm

The bulb is called T3 1/4 wedge bulb 12 volts 1.7 watts. T3 1/4 means it is 13/32 of an inch tubular.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:06 am

Thinking: While your inside there, check and probably adjust with a 'feeler-guage' that dimension up against the brake reservoir for the proper application of the front/rear brake cable. I know that one of mine desperately needs this done (fell over bending the left brake lever over a tad and most-probably 'stretching' the cable) and I've done it once before, making a big difference in stopping when the seldom used left brake is applied during slippery conditions or turns upon sand/debris strewn corners. Also PANIC STOPS after the mind has been allowed to wander during 'seemingly' casual circumstances....
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5702

As far as replacing the headlight or the tail-light with an LED; I'd be logically opposed....They both are designed and dependent upon the 'Fresnel-effect' of the reflector and the corrugated RED lens in the rear, as I discovered long ago:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5741&hilit=+LED
I imagine that the design-factors for an LED with its light sources scattered about a surface as compared to a single, fixed height filament; are two completely different animals and the reflectors should be designed for either one or the other, and either-way the difference is probably arguably minimal..........

The weather is finally beginning to break here and I have many lil' things to do upon my 2 heavily-used SH's whose exteriors bring to mind the phrase 'Rat-Bike'; but whose crankcase oil sparkles and internal mechanics gleam!

Also wondering IF the 'new' factory top-box that you are being tantalized with contains an additional STOP LIGHT upon it???? If not I'd seriously consider doing so as this raises and makes STOPPING more noticeable to squinty-eyed text-ter's and those who cannot navigate this world of ours without being told how to, by some ignorant-of-REALITY generated 'voice'....
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5717
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

NADman

Post by NADman » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:04 pm

Sorry, no light's. I would have loved that project. As you can see it's in a heavy (cut down box) which I found.
22 in.W by 19 in.D by 16 in. H. My bathroom scale says it's just over 10 lbs.
From what I've learned (little) I found that most LED's are fairly happy @ 3V DC. I was looking for a blinking blue LED and found that my local RC hobby shop had a few options. I am going to add it to my "theft resistant"
lock I built for my new scooter. I was thinking that a lot of low life scumbags might back away from a blinking blue LED. Although it's pretty skookum (1/4 in. steel plate-Tapcon'd to concrete with a small hitch receiver, 1 in tubing and a locking hitch pin) it 'captures' the scoot' as opposed to trying to fence it in.
I'm 'betting' on you Mickey. What are the 'odds'? Ha.
Love welding!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:23 pm

Thanks for the info on the linked brake adjustment. I took the cover off to see how a hydraulic brake and cable brake are "linked" but they are. Also helped in the adjustment. It was pretty out of adjustment if I did it right. The rear brake still grabs first but I'm sure the front brake is grabbing a lot more now.

Flushed the front brake of the ice tea color brake fluid for the first time.

Went to O'Reilly's auto parts and found some comparable T3 bulbs. Sylvania longlife 194. Said their 3.8 watts so that would be twice as bright to 1.7 original. They had some 194 amber and 194 LED but I went cheap. $5.99 for two. I put in a new H4 headlight bulb. Sylvania Silverstar 9003. It states brighter downroad and whiter light but compared to what I dont know. Since the Honda bulb is 8 years old I figured as soon as I put everything together it would go out. I have a dead spider in the headlamp lens. I have no idea how it got in there. I was going to take it apart but left it in for good luck! Used some wipes to clean the stuff I took apart.

So all in all a good day of getting to know the scooter. Next project is finding some longer mirror stems so I don't have to look at my shoulders. Their a smaller thread then my Suzuki Burgman and DL650. Once I know the thread size I'll start looking for replacements.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:57 pm

I'm going to go with a set of Aprilia knockoff mirrors and get two Emgo 8mm to 10 mm adapters.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Emgo-20-28108- ... -1&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Rea ... fresh=true

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:25 pm

The mirrors do take a little getting used to, but I appreciate how I've never suffered any mirror damage during the 3-5 times the bike has fallen/dropped/crashed on its side......Hope you have the same new luck.
Be sure to let us know the noticeable difference....I like the prices.....
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.