Electrical problem, battery not re-charging.

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
Elvis

Electrical problem, battery not re-charging.

Post by Elvis » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:52 am

Hello Fellow SH150i enthusiasts!

My 2010 SH150i has 30K miles. Yesterday it stopped running while I was across town.

The engine started missing, then it quit. I tried to restart, but I got that stuttering sound that indicates the solenoid wasn't getting enough voltage.

After a couple hours, it started up, and I was able to drive about a mile, then it quit again. Same solenoid sound when I attempted a restart.

It appears that the battery was not being recharged, so the engine was running off the battery, which soon ran down.

Has anybody had this experience before? Any info on what it might be, how to fix, etc.?

Thanks, and Happy Summer Solstice.

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Electrical problem, battery not re-charging.

Post by TommyXP » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:57 am

After 30,000k you just might need to replace the battery.......If it hasn't ever been replaced, it should be and would be a worthy start to any needed trouble-shooting IF a problem remains or lack of measured charging voltage is to be noticed.....
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

Elvis

Post by Elvis » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:39 pm

Tommy, thank you so much for responding. You are the soul of this forum!

Actually, I have replaced the battery two or three times before, the last time being April 13, 2017 (I keep pretty good records on my maintenance.)

I'm going to try some of the troubleshooting procedures mentioned in the manual. Just thought I'd ask to find out if anyone else had a problem.

Thanks, and Happy Summer Solstice, everyone!

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:42 pm

....especially the tightness of the battery bolts.....Soft lead loosens easy
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:19 am

I think also just check the battery connections first. Low hanging fruit and all that. Poor connection would kill the battery. Also charge the battery up and see how it runs.

NADman

Post by NADman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:48 am

A simple volt meter at the battery when it's running will tell you if it's charging.
On the center stand and a little increase in rev's should give you 14.3-14.5 volts.

SH125Paul

Post by SH125Paul » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:51 am

If its not charging... Or over charging (boiling the battery) then likely to be the regulator / rectifier at fault...
Volt meter across the battery, and check the voltage readings against the manual...

I had a gilly runner 200...
Taped a voltmeter to the scooter connected to the battery and went for a quick run...
Voltage reading was sky high 20 odd volts... To the extent that the voltage was boiling the battery and messing the ECU.. New. Reg Rec sorted it...
Good luck.

Elvis

Post by Elvis » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:10 pm

The advice that it was likely the rectifier/regulator made sense.

I charged up the battery, and it is at 12.8 volts. I started the bike, revved it up, and actually saw a decrease in voltage, down to 12.1.

I ordered a new Rectifier / Regulator from DBElectrical.com ($38 versus over $100 for an OEM Honda part.)

Here's the link: https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/v ... 05-12.html

I installed it, started the bike, no change in voltage.

What should I try next?

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:08 pm

Once you start the scooter and you remove the negative cable while it is running, it should be running off the alternator since you took the battery out of the equation. The charging system is pretty simple. Battery, alternator and regulator.

Elvis

Post by Elvis » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:37 am

OK, here's the latest:

I ordered a new OEM stator.

Installing it is quite involved, but I'm taking copious notes and hope to print them up nice and pretty and send them out to the group. (The service manual tells us what to do, but doesn't tell us how to do it. I take notes on how to do it.)

But I've run into a problem:

I've gotten the right crankcase cover loosened, but in trying to pull it off it hits a piece of the frame. I don't see that piece of the frame in the official Honda service manual.

Has anyone done this before? How do I get the crankcase cover off if there's not enough clearance with the frame?

Thanks!