Sudden death on the expressway!

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
Elvis

Sudden death on the expressway!

Post by Elvis » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:01 pm

I was cruising on the expressway today at 60 - 65 mph, in the inside lane, when the engine died. No sputtering, just a total and instant shutdown.

Fortunately, I was able to coast over to the outside lane and get off at the next exit, but it took quite a bit of hand signaling to get the cars to let me in. (I had my turn signal on, but that usually makes the other drivers speed up to close the gap, not slow down to let me in.)

My gas gauge was at the top of the red, where I've never run out of gas before, so I tried filling the tank, but that didn't help.

The engine turned over quickly and easily with the starter motor. It sounded and felt like maybe I wasn't getting any compression.

I've got too much on my list this week, so I'll have to begin surgery on the bike next week. I'll report back with findings.

But if anyone has any ideas what it might be, please advise!

Thanks!

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Sudden death on the expressway!

Post by TommyXP » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:13 am

Wow! .....I'm shocked I tells ya.....Initially the mind goes blank and doesn't know what to think at my age BUT takes comforting refuge in the FACT that the number of possible causes IS less than (<) INFINITY (~) and unlike most of the 'problems' I poke-with-a-stick these ancient days.....
It would be much easier IF I had the ailing silent lady HERE to 'speak' to.....

First off, a vague memory (which I'll pursue further) regarding a recent members WARNING regarding the fuel pump and NOT letting the fuel level run to low because the FUEL (level) is used to COOL the pump, or something like that.......
At the Time, it was also Probably HOT outside too on that dang E-Way.....

First question: Can you hear the fuel pump come up to pressure when turning the key ON?

P.S. Note 5th reply down by my friend NadMan:
Fuel Pump Problem:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6452&p=14872&hilit ... ump#p14872
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

lazyguy

Post by lazyguy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:35 am

First thing id do is check for spark, e-z to do. If it has spark, then it must be fuel.

NADman

Post by NADman » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:34 pm

"Suck-Squeeze-Bang-Blow".
In your case I'm thinking fuel pump but couldn't rule out the Bang part.
Fuel is the coolant for the pump. You can only abuse it so long.
"Running On Empty" only works (very well) for 'Jackson Browne'.

Elvis

Post by Elvis » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:33 am

Thank you for all the help!

When I begin my surgery, next week, I will certainly check for fuel pump sound, and then spark. If I have spark, I will next do a compression check, because it's easy at that point, and the sound it makes when trying to crank does not seem to have a compression stroke; the engine turns over too easily and smoothly.

I'll keep everyone posted.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:34 am

Wonder if the easy cranking is a due result of lack of anything (fuel) to compress?

NADman

Post by NADman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:42 pm

If you are doing a comp. test- do it dry and wet (squirt a bit of oil in the cyl)
It IS possible to wash the cyl-piston and rings enough to leave very little comp.
One of the reasons for an oil ring.
I doubt this is the case. Stuck valve?
Lack of fuel would not cause a lack of comp, you are compressing 99% air and 1%fuel.
My ratio may not be accurate but you get the idea.

Elvis

Post by Elvis » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:48 am

OK, I began surgery today.

I removed the spark plug. It resisted every turn of the ratchet. Visions of pulled aluminum threads danced in my mind.

When I finally got it out, I saw the electrode end looked like a mini-lunar landscape of melted metal.

The good news is that the threads of the plug looked OK.

I attached a picture of the plug. (This was my first ever picture posting. Glad I learned how to do that.)

Any ideas? Fried piston? Timing chain?

I'm going to do a compression test next. Turns out the compression tester for my car won't fit the small plug size, gotta go buy one. And I guess I'll eventually need a new spark plug. I think I'll go Iridium.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:58 am

Never seen anything like it..........will mull on it awhile.....

Elvis

Post by Elvis » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:25 pm

I tried doing a compression test, but found my compression tester does not have an adapter for the 10mm size threads of this spark plug. However, I then plugged the spark plug hole with my finger while I ran the starter motor and turned over the engine. No compression at all!

So I've begun surgery. I've removed the seat, cargo box, wrap-around plastic engine cover, drained the coolant, removed the exhaust system.

I pulled the head cover to reveal the camshaft. I aligned the cam sprocket with Top Dead Center as per the instructions in the Service Manual, but by bumping the starter motor a little at a time until I got lucky.

Then I ran into this on page 8-8 of the Service Manual:

=============

Remove the tensioner lifter sealing screw and 0- ring located on the upper side of the cylinder.
Turn the cam chain tensioner lifter shaft clockwise fully and secure it with the special tool to loosen the tensioner lifter.
TOOL:
Cam chain tensioner holder 070MG-0010100

=============

Has anyone done this without using this special tool? I saw a video that says you can use a small screwdriver, but it wasn't on an SH150i.