Drive Belt Replacement

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
jergrande

Drive Belt Replacement

Post by jergrande » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:44 pm

So I finally came to the decision to do the simple repairs myself. My first endeavor was the drive belt. I watched enough videos & read up about it that I was confident in this decision. I got the belt in with relative ease and put it all back together. When I took it out for a test run, I only got about 2 blocks. I heard the loud, almost metallic, sound coming from the front variator. When I opened it back up everything was in place, but I wasn't sure if the belt was tight enough. So...my question is: How tight should the belt be? AND how do you adjust for said tightness?

Thank You,
Jeremiah Grande

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Drive Belt Replacement

Post by TommyXP » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:32 am

Been awhile but.....be certain that you tighten the variator nut to spec. with a TORQUE WRENCH = 59 N-m (6.0kgf-m, 44lbf-ft)......Force the belt down into the rear pulley a bit so that the front of the belt is not just lying on the front spindle but up a bit between the two pulley halves......The 'nut' is very tight and I am assuming you have the proper tool to keep the assembly from spinning as you torque.....
If you need a service manual (where the whole procedure is demonstrated) let me know.....
Good luck
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

Mikey

Re: Drive Belt Replacement

Post by Mikey » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:41 am

Make sure all the parts were put back in the right order. On the Burgman scooter site it is stressed to squeeze the belt in the middle before everything is tightened down. It seems you can get a false feeling the parts are tight until you start driving a bit. Check out at about the 4 minute mark on this video on how he squeezes the belt before tightening down the bolts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQczm1I ... V1-HM&t=0s