Screwed In The Rear...

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
SH125Paul

Screwed In The Rear...

Post by SH125Paul » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:27 am

Don't ya just hate gettin' Screwed In The Rear!

Picked up one of them thin but long 1 1/4" wood type screws in the rear tyre (tire)...
Could it of found the easy to remove front? Nope!

So, after arsing about for a couple of days with various puncture seal sprays and stuff, that didnt work had to finally face facts and get the rear out - 12,000 miles and 18 months old Mich City Grip still has some life left (but have had my monies worth...) but tyre (tire) places here wont fix a puncture after sealant has been used...
Bastard 'zorst, shock, brake caliper (Rear Disk Model) ABS 'spaghetti' wires, swing arm plate all off and wheel out!
Strapped it to the seat of the XMax400 that has been brought back to commuter duties, and dropped it of at the tyre (tire) shop on the way to work - and pick up will be on the way home...
And as all good manuals say: 'Refitting is the reversal of the removal process'
here's to an hour or so in the garage and a cold one after...

Next time, please don't let me get screwed in the rear - being up front is so much easier to deal with...
Last edited by SH125Paul on Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Screwed In The Rear...

Post by TommyXP » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:37 am

Feelin' your pain brother.....Breathe deeply, don't look forward nor look back. Stay in the moment with yourself and it will be pleasant regardless of whatever your doing.....
I hope 'they' don't just look at the tread-pattern but observe the direction arrow on the sidewall when mounting (I am assuming) a new....
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:53 am

Make sure they put the tire on in the right direction before you leave. They usually have the lowest grease monkey on the ladder doing the tire changes.

SH125Paul

Post by SH125Paul » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:43 pm

All back together...
Took my time, cleaned parts and greased bolts etc...
I do wish the 'zorst was 2 piece, down pipe and end muffler...
Aint it always a surprise how much tread ya get on a brand new tyre?

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:19 am

Ahhh, the comfort of tread.......You got good life from the City Grips considering that on both of mine SH the original cheap Dunlops were completely shot at 9,000 miles with the most bizarre wear-patterns imaginable and now with one at >10,000 miles the tread looks extremely healthy with no wear-bars yet in sight and 'even' wear!
Hoping that you remembered to replace the compressible gasket (O-ring) between the engine exhaust outlet and the tail-pipe, though I've used the old in the past and got away with it....
Glad for you that your back on your favorite Wind Horse (Lungta=Tibetan).......

SH125Paul

Post by SH125Paul » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:26 am

TommyXP wrote:Hoping that you remembered to replace the compressible gasket (O-ring) between the engine exhaust outlet and the tail-pipe
Nope! - No time to order...
TommyXP wrote:...though I've used the old in the past and got away with it...
Yep! - replaced last time when I fitted (and thought ahead) new tyres fore and aft..

Gonna get one ordered to sit all nice and shiny in the top of the toolbox! :-)
18291GE2921
A great site for parts / exploded fitting diags etc...
https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/58 ... st-muffler

lazyguy

Post by lazyguy » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:24 am

How you guys get such high mileage out of these tires is beyond me. i'm lucky to get 6000 out of a rear city grip. The front tire will always kick up the object so the rear can get punctured, happens all the time.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:51 pm

Tire pressure @ 33psi (rear) and checked often??? Tendency to take the 'back-roads' barely maintaining headway and never caring if I ever get anywhere at-all??? Maybe you weigh more than twice or thrice my 230lb full-figured frame???Material used in your states concrete mixture that was lobbied for by a local tire manufacturer???
We have terrible roads in Michigan EVERYWHERE, crumbling and falling apart 1-2 years after replacement. Nothing is smooth or level for more than 100' at a time and maybe you have 'good' roads that don't give-way on every passing that wears the surface rather than the tire???
Drove down into civilization for a funeral today. ~80 mile round-trip and of the 10 roads I traversed only had one 3 mile stretch that was flat and smooth (new-for the moment) and all the rest were an impossible nightmare to try and choose a line to follow......Couldn't focus on the traffic or what all the texters were doing because of the constant necessity of giving all attention to these roads to hell....
Had me thinking: My God, we are a bunch of backward retards IF this is the best 'we' can do!

lazyguy

Post by lazyguy » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:49 pm

Sounds to me you need a KLR